COSMIC Sizing Forums COSMIC Size measurement Question about a sample from COSMIC-Method-v4.0.1-Bus-App-Guideline-v1.3-1.pdf

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  yufeng chen 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

yufeng chen
    Participant

In section 4.2.4 Example 5, month/year DOES NOT count as a X, but In this example:

Style Jul Aug Sept (etc.) Mar
    SHI 123 1130 1450 2500 2120
    SHI 456 300 650 920 480
    SHI 789 1250 1500 2150 2080
    (Etc.) (etc) (etc) (etc) (etc)

the Month/Year is counted as a X.
    what’s the difference rule used in this two examples? Thanks.

Frank Vogelezang
    Keymaster

Dear Yufeng,

Your question is not really clear to me. The example you give is from 4.2.4 example 5. Can you please indicate which two examples you believe contradict and we can try to help you.

Regards, Frank

yufeng chen
    Participant

Dear Sir:

all the examples come from <COSMIC-Method-v4.0.1-Bus-App-Guideline-v1.3.pdf>,
    the first one comes from : section 4.2.4 Example 5,

EXAMPLE 5: Report with two-dimensional multi-level aggregations

A company designs and produces items of clothing. Each of its designs, known as a ‘Style’, is available in many Colour and Size combinations. A unique combination of these three parameters is known as a ‘Product-type’. This is a specification that the company manufactures and that can be ordered in bulk by a customer (e.g. a retailer)

Figure 4.2 shows the relationships between the various objects of interest that make up the company’s product structure and how multi-item Orders relate to a Product-type. (The ‘crows-foot’ symbol in Figure 4.2 illustrates the degree of the relationship between the various objects of interest.)

The size about this example is : 12cfp

The second example is just following example 5:
    It is now interesting to demonstrate the applicability of Note 1 to the rule of section 2.6.2. Figure 4.4 shows the reports that would be needed if, for example, the sales amounts i) and v) in the list above were required to be output by separate functional processes.

in this example, month/year is counted as a X, but in the first example, month/year DOSE NOT count as a X,
    so, that is my question:
    In section 4.2.4 Example 5, month/year DOES NOT count as a X, but in the next example, the Month/Year is counted as a X. what’s the difference rule used in this two examples? Thanks.

Charles Symons
    Participant

Dear Yufeng Chen, thank you for your question.
    First, it’s not correct to state ‘In section 4.2.4 Example 5, month/year DOES NOT count as a X, but In this example ( … example deleted … ) the Month/Year is counted as a X.’
    The main example 5 in 4.2.4 (of size 12 CFP) shows six different aggregations of the value of clothes sales (numbered i) to vi) on page 49). The example analysed after the main example is for when the sales figure i) is reported separately.
    For BOTH these examples, it is correct to state that ‘the functional process has an Exit that moves a data group that is keyed on (= is uniquely identified by) the attribute ‘Month/year’. Consequently, both Exits must have the same frequency of occurrence ‘n’ (the number of months for which sales figures must be output).
    However, the data groups moved by the Exits of these two examples are different as you will see from the tables showing the analysis. In the main example 5, the data group moved is ‘Sales for the whole Product Range in a given month’. (See row 8 of the table.) This data group’s two attributes are ‘Month/Year’ and ‘Sales for the whole Product Range in the given month’. In the other example which reports only the sales figure i), the data group moved has only the one attribute ‘Month/Year’. (See row 2 of its table.)
    For all of these examples 4 and 5, the data groups output in each example have different frequencies of occurrence, so must be moved by different Exits, as per part 1 of the rule in section 2.6.2.
    I hope this helps Charles Symons

yufeng chen
      Participant

Dear Sir:
      I have another question about this example(main example 5 in 4.2.4 ): in this example, there have 9 Exits(include one Error msg).the answer told me :
      “Style Code” is a data group, Key attributes: “Style Code”, Frequency: “Many”, “Sales for a given Style in the whole Time-period” is also a data group, Key attributes: “Style Code, Time-period definition*”, Frequency: “Many”(One for each Style), I think “Style Code” may not be counted as a X separately, because It has the same frequency with data group: “Sales for a given Style in the whole Time-period”. The only reason data group “Style Code” is counted as a X due to it has different key attribute with data group “Sales for a given Style in the whole Time-period”, am I right?

if it’s true, I will give you a another example, such as:
      FUR: list all the style’s total-sales in the given time period.

the out put is :
      Time Period: xx month — xx month
      style total-sales
      S1 XX
      S2 XX
      S3 XX
      so in this example, we have 3 exits,
      X: DG: time period, Key: start month, end month, frequency: 1
      X: DG: style code, Key: style code, frequency: many
      X: DG: total sales for each given style during given time period, Key: style code, time-period, frequency: many(one for each style)

Am I right?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.