COSMIC Sizing Forums COSMIC Size measurement Data groups with the same attibutes in the same funtional process

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Maricela Martínez 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Maricela Martínez
    Participant

I have a funtional Process “Send transactions for processing”, and it is a batch process.
    1) Time in which the process need to be executed ( E )

2) The process get information about the active transactions with the following attributes “IdTransaction, Description and Amount” ( R, The object of interest is “active transactions”)

3) The process sends a file with the information about the active transactions with the attributes “IdTansaction, Description and Amount” ( X, the object of interest is “active transactions”

4) The process get information about the cancel transactions with the following attributes “IdTransaction, Description and Amount” ( R, the object of interest is “cancel transactions” )

5) The process sends a file with the information about the cancel transactions with the attributes “IdTansaction, Description and Amount” ( X, the object of interest is “cancel transactions” )
    The process finish
    “Send transactions for processing” is equal to 5 CFP
    Other people could measure like this:
    I have a funtional Process “Send transactions for processing”, and it is a batch process.
    1) Time in which the process need to be executed ( E )

2) The process get information about the active transactions with the following attributes “IdTransaction, Description and Amount” ( R the object of interest is “Transactions”)

3) The process sends a file with the information about the active transactions with the attributes “IdTansaction, Description and Amount” ( X the object of interest is “Transactions”)

4) The process get information about the cancel transactions with the following attributes “IdTransaction, Description and Amount” ( 0 because it is moved the same attibutes which are moved in the step 2, the object of interest is “Transactions” )

5) The process sends a file with the information about the cancel transactions with the attributes “IdTansaction, Description and Amount” ( 0 because it is moved the same attibutes which are moved in the step 3, the object of interest is “Transactions” )

“Send transactions for processing” is equal to 3 CFP
    In this scenario, which measurement is correct?

Arlan Lesterhuis
    Participant

Dear Maricela,

Crucial in measurement of batch processes is the first sentence of section 4.4.5 of the Business Applications Guideline:

‘Fundamentally, when measuring the size of functional processes, it should make no difference whether the functional process is required to be processed on-line or in batch mode.’

In other words, the process should be analysed as if it were an on-line process. The reason is that the requirement that data must be batch processed is a non-functional requirement. and therefore doesn’t lead to a data movement as intended by COSMIC (the execution time isn’t an OOI to the functional user of the transactions). Instead, the analysis is that
    1) Transactions have been entered (and maybe stored in a temporary file for processing later). Measure this as if a functional user entered the transactions.
    2) The measurement of the other processing (your steps 2, 3 and 4 in the second solution) is correct, as there is no requirement stated of difference in processing of the active and the cancel transactions.

Below the measurement with the data groups (and the OOIs between []).

E IdTransaction, Description, Amount [Transaction]
    R IdTransaction, Description, Amount [Transaction]
    X IdTransaction, Description, Amount [Transaction]

I hope this is clear

Arlan Lesterhuis

Maricela Martínez
    Participant

First of all, Thanks for your answere.

In this case the information with the transactions are in a table in a Data base.
    So, I suppose the entry with the time is correct, right?

Arlan Lesterhuis
    Participant

Maricela,

No, the time plays no role because it is a non-functional requirement: at whichever time the data is processed doesn’t change the way the data is processed. As the data is stored data (i.e. not in a temporary file) the first Entry should be to move the selection of the transactions to be processed. In your description these are the ‘active transactions’, so

Entry Active transaction (i.e. ‘select active transaction’)

with the Read and Exit remaining as above.

Arlan

Maricela Martínez
    Participant

I still have a doubt about the entry for this functional process, because it is a process which must be executed in a specific time (date, and hour) which the business user indicated, the process must not be execute in other time, because that could impact the server operation, and no other input data is necessary. In fact, this is the case of example 2, pp. 64

E Entry to start the process
    R IdTransaction, Description, Amount [Transaction]
    X IdTransaction, Description, Amount [Transaction]

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.