COSMIC Sizing Forums COSMIC Size measurement Measuring applications in a cloud environment with COSMIC

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Charles Symons 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Mariem Haoues
    Participant

I would like to apply COSMIC to measure the functional size of a distributed application in a cloud environment. I read the chapter “Estimation for Mobile and Cloud Environments“. However, I could not find a case study or an example to understand the measurement.

How can I measure the interactions between two applications in the same cloud? If we take as an example the C-reg case study. The interactions between C-Reg system and Course catalog system are measured as Entry and eXit data movements. How could these interactions be measured if these two applications were in a cloud.

If it is possible do you have any case study that illustrates the measurement of COSMIC functional size in a cloud environment.

Mariem Haoues.
    PhD Candidate.
    Mir@cl Laboratory. University of Sfax, Tunisia.

Frank Vogelezang
    Keymaster

Dear Mariem,

We did not include a cloud-based case study in the book chapter, because from a functional perspective there is no difference between the interaction between multiple applications, whether they are in the cloud or not. Cloud-based software is different from stand-alone or on-premise software in the sense that they have a strict use of internet-based protocols to communicate with other applications.

So from a functional perspective cloud interactions are no different from the interactions described in the C-Reg case study.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Frank Vogelezang

Charles Symons
    Participant

Dear Mariem, I agree with Frank’s reply. The functional users of a distributed application (the software being measured) are the same regardless of whether the operating environment is cloud or non-cloud. Charles

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.