COSMIC Sizing Forums COSMIC Size measurement Data Groups in Drop lists

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Mary
      Participant

Hello,

Reviewing the exercises about drop-down list en the Guideline for Sizing Business Application Pg. 36, I have 2 questions, which I would like to help with the answer please:

In the example 2 in where is counted an additional Read and Exit. For examen: Object A is Address and Object B is Country

Which measurement is correct?

Entry (triggering event)
      Read (Get the information of object B (Country) to fill the list)
      Exit (Show the information of object B (Country) to fill the list)
      Entry (Address’s atributes, such as county, state, Street, etc.)
      Save (Address’s atributes, such as county, state, Street, etc.)
      5 CFP

OR

Entry (Information of Address, such as county, state, Street, etc.)
      Save (Information of Address, such as county, state, Street, etc.)
      Read (Get the information of object B (Country) to fill the list)
      Exit (Show the information of object B (Country) to fill the list)
      4 CFP

In addition, it is said that in other cases, the requirement for a drop-down list may result in an additional, separate functional process, which Will have 3 CFP, in which cases must I consider the measurement in this way? When the same drop-down list is used more than once in the same scope?

Thank you very much in advance!

Mary

Avi Kessner
      Participant

I think that is correct. You don’t want to count the same/pre-existing data movement twice.

Arlan Lesterhuis
      Participant

Dear Avi,

The COSMIC method allows to extent the method ‘locally’ (for instance within a company), which may support experimenting with your ideas more formally. I refer to Part 2 of the Measurement Manual, section 4.1.

Regards,

Arlan

Arlan Lesterhuis
      Participant

Dear Mary,

(Please ignore the response above to Avi, my mistake)

1) I don’t understand your first line in the first example: ‘Entry(triggering event)’. What data is being moved here?
      2) Your first example pertains to entering address data, so the first question to be asked is: is ‘Country’ really an object of interest (OOI) (say, are data of countries being maintained and from which the country names come)? At first sight ‘Country’ in this example isn’t an OOI, therefore, if my assumption is correct the R and the X of the first example should be omitted.
      3) Your last question is answered by the text of the following Example 3: ‘if ithe functional user is offered a choice of two ways of entering the value of the attribute Z, depending on whether the functional user knows the valid value to be entered or needs to select a valid value from a list. ‘
      When the user decides to enter a value via the drop down list (which must display OOI data!) then there is another triggering event (like ‘I want to see the possible values’), therefore there must be another functional process (counted once for the application).

I hope this is clear.

Regards,

Arlan Lesterhuis

Mary
      Participant

Dear Arlan,

First of all thanks for your answer, I am sorry I still have this doubt.
      In my example “Country” is another OOI data, in fact it is a Catalog.
      In the Functional Process “Add the Address” the user needs to select a value of the list of “Country” because the value of the attribute country (of Address) needs to be valid. I understand that the “Retrieve of country” is another functional process with 3 CFP and it must be counted only once in the scope.

Nevertheless my question is: In this kind of scenarios, must I count the retrieve for full the list (talking of OOI) as independent functional process even when only the down list appears ones in the Scope?
      or
      Must I count the retrieve for full the list (talking of OOI) as independent functional process (counting only one) if the down list appears more than ones in the scope (for example in Add the address and Modify the address)? But if the down list only appear ones in the scope, must I add to the initial functional process (that use that down list in my case “Add the address”) only one read and one exit?

Thanks in advance!

Arlan Lesterhuis
      Participant

Dear Mary,

In your first paragraph. do NOT identify a list-functional process (just a R and an X, so 2 CFP), for the human user must select the Country. In that case there is no conscious, separate decision to display the value, so there is no triggering event and there is no functional process either.
      Identify a list- functional process only when the user has the option to either type the value him/herself OR select the value from the list (in the latter case there is the conscious, separate decision to display the value that leads to a triggering event and hence a functional process.

Regards,

Arlan

Mary
      Participant

It is clear! Thanks you very much!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.