COSMIC Sizing Forums COSMIC Size measurement Data group definition

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sameer Majithiya 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Sameer Majithiya
    Participant

Hello,

I have few questions on the definition of Data group.
    The definition as described in Measurement Manual 4.01 states that it is a distinct, non empty, non ordered set of data attributes where each included data attribute describes a complementary aspect of the same one object of interest.
    What is meant by “Non-ordered” in this definition? Can we have some more explanation on this part along with some examples on “Ordered” and “Non-ordered” set of data attributes?
    Additionally, earlier i.e. in Measurement manual 4.0, we had “Non-redundant” in the definition. May I know if this is still applicable in the current version?

Thanks in advance.

Charles Symons
    Participant

Hallo Sameer, I must admit we had a tendency to make definitions more complicated or academic than necessary. Over time we are simplifying them.
    From the original definition of a ‘Data Group’, we first eliminated ‘non-redundant’. It does not matter for COSMIC sizing if the data group contains redundant data attributes, as long as they all describe the same one object of interest, so including ‘non-reduntant’ in the definition was unnecessary

In v4.0.1, we still say that the data group must be ‘non-empty’ (i.e. there must be at least one data attribute) and that the data elements must be ‘non-ordered’. The latter term means that it does not matter for COSMIC sizing in which sequence the attirbutes occur in the group. A consequence is that you cannot claim that two data groups comprising the same attributes are different just because their sequence in the group is different. I don’t think this is likely to happen in practice, but we try to prevent malpractice or mistakes.

Quite recently in Method Update Bulletin 13, we published a new Note to the definition of a data group to prevent further misunderstandings. I hope it is self-explanatory.
    “NOTE: A ‘data group’ does not necessarily mean ‘the set of all data attributes that describe a single object of interest’. The FUR of a piece of software may specify data groups to be formed from any combinations of data attributes that all describe the same object of interest, as needed by different functional processes.”
    I hoipe this is all OK
    Charles

Sameer Majithiya
    Participant

Thank you Charles ! This helps.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.